Our recent trip to Cancun and Guatemala was our first time using points and miles to 'pay' for all our flights and hotels. The monetary value of this trip would have cost approximately $4,000 but instead we spent only $600 for this week-long trip. We could have probably done it even cheaper but all-in-all, I think we did pretty good job making the best of out of our week-long trip. Here's a link for our trip itinerary, and more photos in the links below:Hyatt Ziva Cancun - All Inclusive Resort
And here's a breakdown of all our expenses for this trip. The highest expenses turned out to be airport taxes, followed by transportation costs.
- Nashville - Cancun (free stopover) - Guatemala (destination) - Nashville
- 35,000 Krisflyer miles + $113 taxes per person
- Total 70,000 points transferred from Citi ThankYou Rewards
Breakdown of the airport taxes of $113/pax. The Mexico tourism tax (UK), departure tax for Mexico (XD) and Guatemala (XC) are pretty expensive!
According to Google flight, this is how much our flights would have cost per person.
- June 10-12 (2 weekend nights): Aloft Cancun (3,000 SPG points/night)
- June 12-14 (2 nights): Hyatt Ziva Cancun (Hyatt Visa sign-up bonus)
- June 14-15 (1 weekday night): Aloft Cancun (4,000 SPG points/night)
- June 15-16 (1 night): Hilton Garden Inn Guatemala City (10,000 HHonors points/night)
Value of our 6 nights accommodation was approximately $2,000.
Car Rental (Mexico)
- 1-day rental (incl. mandatory Mexican liability insurance) = $47
- Gas = $30
- Toll = $20
- Parking = $6
Our 1-day sightseeing driving route around the Yucatan region.
Total expenses for our 7D6N trip. =)